National and Kapodistrian University of Athens,
Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical technology and Biopharmaceutics at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Department of Pharmacy
Supervisor of ESR10
Maria Vertzoni is Assistant Professor in Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmaceutics, Department of Pharmacy, National Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), Greece. She received her Bachelor in Chemistry in 1994, her Master of Science in Analytical Chemistry in 1999 and her Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences in 2004 from NKUA. In 2016, she received her Master of Science in Medical and Pharmaceutical Statistics from Athens University of Economics and Business. Research interests focus to the physicochemical characterization of intraluminal environment, oral drug absorption with special interest in special populations. She is currently supervising 2 PhD Theses. She is co-author of more than 100 peer reviewed papers and chapters in international journals and books (h-index 37). She is member of the editorial board of Molecular Pharmaceutics, Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics and Die Pharamzie. She is/has been involved in several EU funded training and research programs, i.e. AGePOP (coordinator), PEARRL (PI), InPharma (PI), OrBiTo and COLOTAN, and one COST action, i.e. UNGAP (WG leader).
- Vertzoni M., Augustijns P., Grimm M., Koziolek M., Lemmens G., Parrott N.J., Pentafragka C., Reppas C., Rubbens J., Van den Αbeele J., Vanuytsel T., Weitschies W., Wilson C.G. Impact of regional differences along the gastrointestinal tract of healthy adults on oral drug absorption: An UNGAP review. Eur. J. Pharm. Sci. 134:153-175 (2019).
- Pentafragka C., Vertzoni M., Dressman J., Symillides M., Goumas C., Reppas C, Characteristics of contents in the upper gastrointestinal lumen after a standard high-calorie high-fat meal and implications for the in vitro drug product performance testing conditions. Eur. J. Pharm. Sci. 155:105535 (2020).
- Augustijns P., Vertzoni M., Reppas C., Langguth P., Lennernäs H., Abrahamsson B., Hasler W., Baker J., Vanuytsel T., Tack J., Corsetti M., Bermejo M., Paixão P., Amidon G. Hens B. Unraveling the luminal behavior of oral drug products inside the human gastrointestinal tract using the aspiration technique: history, methodology and applications. Eur. J. Pharm. Sci. 155:105517 (2020).
- Statelova M., Holm R., Fotaki N., Reppas C., Vertzoni M. Successful extrapolation of paracetamol exposure from adults to infants after oral administration of a paediatric aqueous suspension is highly dependent on the study dosing conditions. AAPS J. 22:126 (2020).
- Statelova M., Holm R., Fotaki N., Reppas C., Vertzoni M. Factors affecting successful extrapolation of ibuprofen exposure from adults to paediatric populations after oral administration of a paediatric aqueous suspension. AAPS J. 22:146 (2020).