Dr. Christel Bergström
Professor in Molecular Pharmaceutics, Uppsala University, Sweden
Christel Bergström is Professor in Molecular Pharmaceutics at Uppsala University, Sweden, and Adjunct Professor at Monash University, Australia. She is heading a research group of ~25 scientists focusing on delivery of problematic compounds (poorly solubles, biologics) and has published >100 peer reviewed articles in this field. Her laboratory has attracted funding from highly competitive sources including three grants from the European Research Council and several grants from the Swedish Research Council. She is Director of The Swedish Drug Delivery Center, a collaborative center of excellence in drug delivery engaging 16 industrial partners in Northern Europe and Uppsala University (10.5 M€ partly funded by Sweden´s Innovation Agency). She holds many commissions of trust, and is amongst others EXCO member of the Nordic University Hub within patient-oriented products (the Nordic POP initiative) and EXCO member of the Globalization Pharmaceutics Education Network. In 2017, she was elected Deputy Dean of Collaboration (Medicine and Pharmacy) at Uppsala University. In this role, she interacts with external partners and policy makers within the medicine and pharmacy domain. She is editor of Molecular Pharmaceutics since 2018 and on the editorial board of Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. In 2019, she funded Enphasys AB, a spinout from her research program targeting animal free models for prediction of absorption from advanced drug delivery systems after oral administration.
- Johannesson J, Khan J, Hubert M, Teleki A, Bergström CAS. 3D-printing of solid lipid tablets from emulsion gels. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2021, Feb 1; 597:120304.doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2021.120304.
- Berg S, Krause J, Björkbom A, Walter K, Harun S, Granfeldt A, Janzén D, Nunes SF, Antonsson M, Van Zuydam N, Skrtic S, Hugerth A, Weitschies W, Davies N, Abrahamsson B, Bergström CAS. In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of 3D Printed Capsules with Pressure Triggered Release Mechanism for Oral Peptide Delivery. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021 Jan;110(1):228-238. doi: 10.1016/j.xphs.2020.10.066.
- Hossain S, Joyce P, Parrow A, Jõemetsa S, Höök F, Larsson P, Bergström CAS. Influence of Bile Composition on Membrane Incorporation of Transient Permeability Enhancers. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2020, 17(11):4226-4240. doi: 10.1021/acs.molpharmaceut.0c00668.
- Parrow A. Larsson P, Augustijns P, Bergström CAS. Molecular dynamics simulations on interindividual variability of intestinal fluids: impact on drug solubilization. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2020, accepted Aug 3. Doi: 1021/acs.molpharmaceut.0c00588
- Sou T, Kukavica-Ibrulj I, Levesque RC, Friberg LE, Bergström CAS. Model-Informed Drug Development in Pulmonary Delivery: Semimechanistic pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic modeling for evaluation of treatments against chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa lung infections. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2020, 17(5), 1458-1469. Doi: 10.1021/acs.molpharmaceut.9b00968.
- Alskär LC., Parrow A, Keemink J, Johansson P, Abrahamsson B, Bergström CAS. Effect of lipids on absorption of carvedilol in dogs: Is co-administration of lipids as efficient as a lipid-based formulation? Journal of Controlled Release, 2019, 304, 90-100. Doi:10.1016/j.conrel.2019.04.038.
- Keemink J, Mårtensson E, Bergström CAS. A lipolysis-permeation setup for simultaneous study of digestion and absorption in vitro. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2019, 16(3), 921-930. doi: 10.1021/acs.molpharmaceut.8b00811.